Personal Child Support Assistants (role to be split between two people)
Are you flexible, lively and energetic? Do you have a sense of fun and adventure? Do you enjoy working with children? Do you like ice cream?
We are looking for a flexible Personal Assistant to support our 5-year-old son. Our son was born with Down Syndrome and as such communicates his wants and needs through short sentences and Makaton sign language. He has a wonderful, cheeky sense of humour, and loves being on the go. He can also get tired, so the role will involve creating fun activities as well as chilled times, including the occasional ice cream!
With support, he can do things most other children of a similar age can do, but it just takes time, patience and perseverance. We are looking for the right person/persons to help our son to socialise, develop friendships and enjoy life in our local community; supporting him to have some time doing fun things without us, helping him develop his sense of self and independence.
We are looking for 2 people to cover the allocated hours. This ensures he does not become over-reliant on one person and also provides buffer for holiday and sickness. In total, we are looking for 2-3 days’ support during the school holidays as well as occasional support after school, including school pickup, and at weekends. Access to a car is therefore essential to this role. Our son needs consistency; the right people committed to working with him on a long term basis. We are therefore keen to be flexible to make role sustainable for all parties.
We are looking for a person/persons who is/are;
· Reliable, punctual and trustworthy
· Calm, patient and organised with fantastic childcare skills
· Able to be in-tune with our son’s needs, with the ability to promote positive behaviour
· Able to be flexible with regards to working times and working with others
· Lively and energetic
· Friendly and easy going with a sense of humour; our home is never dull!
· Committed to inclusion and keen to develop their learning, experience and knowledge (eg Makaton training)
· Non-smoker whilst with all members of our family
· A full clean driving licence and willing to drive either their own car or a family owned car for the purposes of this role.
And who will ideally have;
· Experience of using makaton sign language (desirable but not essential)
· Experience of working with children (paid or unpaid – beneficial but not essential)
The rate of pay is £9.32 per hour.
Please apply by CV quoting ref: D626 for further information telephone our office on 01723 588002.
NYCIL act on behalf of the employer, and will pass any applications direct to them.
Formal applications should be by CV (including current and/or previous posts) and covering letter. The successful applicant will be required to have an enhanced DBS check and provide the names of two referees.
Reference ID: D626
Job Types: Part-time, Permanent
Salary: £9.32 per hour
- Down Syndrome: 1 year (preferred)
- Childcare: 1 year (preferred)
- Driving Licence (preferred)